- Dottorato in Filosofia - Consorzio Filosofia del Nord Ovest (FI.N.O.)
- SSD: M-FIL/03 - filosofia morale
- ORCID: orcid.org/0000-0003-2594-6313
PubblicazioniTutti i miei prodotti della ricerca
Books & Edited Volumes
- Van den Hoven, Jeroen; Dennis, Matthew; Ishmaev, Georgy; Umbrello, Steven (eds.) 2022. Values for a Post-Pandemic Future: Ethics, Technology, and the ‘New Normal’, Springer, Cham. forthcoming
Umbrello, Steven; Wood, Nathan Gabriel, 2021. “Autonomous Weapons Systems and the Contextual Nature of Hors de Combat Status,” Information, Special issue: “Meaningful Human Control and Autonomous Weapons Systems: Ethics, Design, and Responsible Innovation,” Forthcoming.
Umbrello, Steven, 2021. "Coupling Levels of Abstraction in Understanding Meaningful Human Control of Autonomous Weapons: A Two-Tiered Approach," Ethics and Information Technology. DOI: 10.1007/s10676-021-09588-w (CLASSE A 11/C3)
Umbrello, Steven; van de Poel, Ibo, 2021. "Mapping Value Sensitive Design onto AI for Social Good Principles," AI and Ethics. DOI: 10.1007/s43681-021-00038-3
- Umbrello, Steven, 2021. “The Ecological Turn in Design: Adopting a Posthumanist Ethics to Inform Value Sensitive Design,” Philosophies. Vol. 6, No. 1, 29. DOI: 10.3390/philosophies6020029
Umbrello, Steven, 2020. "Meaningful Human Control over Smart Home Systems: A Value Sensitive Design Approach," HUMANA. MENTE Journal of Philosophical Studies, Special Issue: "Living with Artificial Intelligence. An Analysis of Moral and Philosophical Implications in our Everyday Life," Vol. 13, No. 37, 40-65. (Classe A 11/C3)
Longo, Francesco; Padovano, Antonio; Umbrello, Steven, 2020. "Value-oriented and ethical technology engineering in Industry 5.0: a human-centric perspective for the design of the Factory of the Future," Applied Sciences, Special Issue: "Smart Manufacturing Systems for Industry 5.0: Challenges and Opportunities," Vol. 10, No. 12, 4182. DOI: 10.3390/app10124182
Umbrello, Steven, 2020. "Imaginative Value Sensitive Design: Using Moral Imagination Theory to Inform Responsible Technology Design," Science and Engineering Ethics, Vol. 26, No. 2, 575-595. DOI: 10.1007/s11948-019-00104-4 (Classe A 11/C3)
Umbrello, Steven, Torres, Phil and Angelo F. De Bellis, 2020. "The Future of War: The Ethical Potential of Leaving War to Lethal Autonomous Weapons." AI & Society, Vol. 35, No. 1, 273-282. DOI: 10.1007/s00146-019-00879-x (CLASSE A 11/C3)
Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Steps to Designing AI Empowered Nanotechnology: A Value Sensitive Design Approach," Delphi: Interdisciplinary Review of Emerging Technologies, Vol. 2, No. 2, 79-83. DOI:10.21552/delphi/2019/2/6
Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Explorative Nanophilosophy as Tecnoscienza: An Italian Perspective on the Role of Speculation in Nanoindustry." TECNOSCIENZA: The Italian Journal of Science & Technology Studies, Vol. 10, No. 1., 71-88.
Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Atomically Precise Manufacturing and Responsible Innovation: A Value Sensitive Design Approach to Explorative Nanophilosophy," International Journal of Technoethics (IJT), Vol. 10, No. 2, 1-21. DOI: 10.4018/IJT.2019070101 (Classe A 11/C3)
Umbrello, Steven, Sorgner, Stefan L. 2019. "Nonconscious Cognitive Suffering: Considering Suffering Risks of Embodied Artificial Intelligence," Philosophies, Special Issue: "Frontiers of Embodied Artificial Intelligence: The (r-)evolution of the embodied approach in AI," Vol. 4, No. 2, (24). DOI: 10.3390/philosophies4020024
Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Lethal Autonomous Weapons: Designing War Machines with Values," Delphi - Interdisciplinary Review of Emerging Technologies, Vol. 1, No. 2, 30-34. DOI: 10.21552/delphi/2019/1/7
Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Beneficial AI Coordination by means of a Value Sensitive Design Approach." Big Data and Cognitive Computing, Special Issue: "Artificial Superintelligence: Coordination & Strategy," Vol.3, No.1, (5). DOI: 10.3390/bdcc3010005
Umbrello, Steven, Lombard, Jessica, 2018. "Silence of the Idols: Appropriating the Myth of Sisyphus for Posthumanist Discourses," Postmodern Openings, Vol. 9, No. 4, 98-121. DOI:10.18662/po/47.
Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Designing a Nano-Safe Future," Solutions, Vol. 9, No. 4, 1-3.
Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Posthumanism: A Fickle Philosophy?" Con Texte, Vol. 2, No. 1, 28-32. DOI: 10.28984/ct.v2i1.279
Umbrello, Steven, Baum, Seth D., 2018. "Evaluating Future Nanotechnology: The Net Societal Impacts of Atomically Precise Manufacturing," Futures, (June) Vol. 100, 63-73. DOI: 10.1016/j.futures.2018.04.007 (CLASS A 08)
Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "The Moral Psychology of Value Sensitive Design: the Methodological Issues of Moral Intuitions for Responsible Innovation," Journal of Responsible Innovation, Vol. 5, No. 2, 186-200. DOI: 10.1080/23299460.2018.1457401
- Umbrello, Steven, 2020. "Combinatory and Complementary Practices of Values and Virtues in Design: A Reply to Reijers and Gordijn," Filosofia, Special Issue: "Philosophy and Robotics," No. 65, 107-121. DOI: 10.13135/2704-8195/5236
- Doorn, Neelke; Michelfelder, Diane P.; Barrella, Elise; Bristol, Terry; Dechesne, Francien; Fritzsche, Albrecht; Johnson, Gearold; Poznic, Michael; Robison, Wade; Sain, Barbara; Stone, Taylor; Rodriguez-Nikl, Tonatiuh; Umbrello, Steven; Vermaas, Pieter E.; Wilson, Richard L., 2021. "Reimagining the future of engineering," In Diane P. Michelfelder and Neelke Doorn (eds.), Routledge Handbook of Philosophy of Engineering, Oxfordshire: Routledge, 736-744. ISBN 9781138244955
- Umbrello, Steven, 2021. "AI Winter," In Philip Frana and Michael J. Klein (eds.), Encyclopedia of Artificial Intelligence: The Past, Present, and Future of AI, ABC-CLIO. ISBN 9781440853265
- Umbrello, Steven, 2021. "Conceptualizing Policy in Value Sensitive Design: A Machine Ethics Approach," In Steven John Thompson (ed.), Machine Law, Ethics, and Morality in the Age of Artificial Intelligence, IGI Global, 108-125. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-7998-4894-3.ch007, ISBN: 9781799848943
- Umbrello, Steven, 2020. "Beneficial Artificial Intelligence Coordination by means of a Value Sensitive Design Approach," In Roman Yampolskiy and Allison Duettmann (eds.), Artificial Superintelligence: Coordination & Strategy, MDPI, 162-174. Printed Edition of the Special Issue Published in Big Data and Cognitive Computing. ISBN 9783039218554
- Umbrello, Steven, De Bellis, Angelo F., 2018. "A Value-Sensitive Design Approach to Intelligent Agents," In Roman Yampolskiy (ed.), Artificial Intelligence Safety and Security, New York: Chapman and Hall/CRC, 395-410. DOI: 10.1201/9781351251389, ISBN 9780815369820
- Friedman, Batya; Hendry, David; Umbrello, Steven; van den Hoven, Jeroen; Yoo, Daisy, 2020. "The Future of Value Sensitive Design," In Jorge Pelegrín Borondo, Mario Arias Oliva, Kiyoshi Murata, Ana María Lara Palma (eds.), Paradigm Shifts in ICT Ethics: Proceedings of the 18th International Conference ETHICOMP 2020, Universidad de La Rioja, 217-220, ISBN: 978-84-09-20272-0
- Gazzaneo, Lucia; Padovano, Alessandro, and Umbrello, Steven, 2020. "Designing Smart Operator 4.0 for Human Values: A Value Sensitive Design Approach," Proceedings of the International Conference on Industry 4.0 and Smart Manufacturing (ISM 2019), Procedia Manufacturing, Vol. 42, 219-226. DOI: 10.1016/j.promfg.2020.02.073
- Umbrello, Steven, 2021. “Shikake: The Japanese Art of Shaping Behavior Through Design,” International Journal of Art, Culture and Design Technologies (IJACDT), Vol. 10, No. 2.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2021. "Can Humans Dream of Electric Sheep?" Metascience, Vol. 30, No. 2, 1-3. DOI: 10.1007/s11016-021-00629-0 (CLASSE A 11/C3)
- Umbrello, Steven, 2021. “Should we Reset? A Review of Klaus Schwab and Thierry Malleret’s ‘COVID-19: The Great Reset’,” Journal of Value Inquiry, DOI: 10.1007/s10790-021-09794-1 (CLASSE A 11/C3)
- Umbrello, Steven, 2021. “Reckoning with assessment: can we responsibly innovate?” Metascience, Vol. 30, No. 1, 41-23. DOI: 10.1007/s11016-021-00605-8 (CLASSE A 11/C3)
- Umbrello, Steven, 2020. "Nihilism and Technology," Prometheus, Vol. 36, No. 3, 289-290. DOI: 10.13169/prometheus.36.3.0289
- Umbrello, Steven, 2020. "Maurizio Balistreri, Sex robot. L’amore al tempo delle macchine," Filosofia, Special Issue: "Philosophy and Robotics," (2020) No. 65, 191-193. DOI: 10.13135/2704-8195/5245
- Umbrello, Steven, 2020. "Values, Imagination, and Praxis: Towards A Value Sensitive Future with Technology," Science and Engineering Ethics, Vol. 26, No. 1, 495-499. DOI: 10.1007/s11948-019-00122-2 (Classe A 11/C3)
- Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Fragile Umanità by Leonardo Caffo," Journal of Posthuman Studies, Vol. 3, No. 1, 105-112. DOI: 10.5325/jpoststud.3.1.0105
- Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Book review: Being Ecological by Timothy Morton," Journal of Evolution and Technology, Vol. 23, No. 1, 19-20.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Moving to a Posthuman Technosphere," Techné: Research in Philosophy and Technology, Vol. 23, No. 1, 104-106. DOI: 10.5840/techne20192311
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Evolution Science and Ethics in the Third Millennium: Challenges and Choices for Humankind," World Futures, Vol. 75, No. 4, 191-193. DOI: 10.1080/02604027.2018.149011
- Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Costruire Futuri: Migrazioni, città, immaginazioni," Journal of Futures Studies, Vol. 23, No. 2, 101-103. DOI: 10.6531/JFS.201812_23(2).0007
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "A Theory of Everything?," Cultural Studies Review, Vol. 24, No. 2, 184-186. DOI: 10.5130/csr.v24i1.6318
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Designing in Ethics" Prometheus, Vol. 35, No. 2, 160-161. DOI: 10.1080/08109028.2018.1486470
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Humankind: Solidarity with Nonhuman People," Journal of Critical Realism, Vol. 17, No. 1, 84-86. DOI: 10.1080/14767430.2018.1437878
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Phil Torres’s Morality, Foresight, and Human Flourishing: An Introduction to Existential Risks," Futures, Vol. 98, 90-91. DOI: 10.1016/j.futures.2018.02.007 (CLASS A 08)
- Umbrello, Steven, 2017. "The Rise of Realism," The International Journal of Actor-Network Theory and Technological Innovation, Vol. 9, No. 2, 63-66.
Temi di ricerca
I currently serve as the Managing Director at the Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies. I studied Philosophy of Science and Technology at the University of Toronto (Hons. BA), Epistemology, Ethics and Mind at the University of Edinburgh (MSc) and Science and Technology Studies at York University (MA). Currently, I am doing my Ph.D. in the ethics and design of AI.
Additionally, I served as a junior associate at the Global Catastrophic Risk Institute from 2013 to 2018 where my primary research and authorship was on atomically precise manufacturing (APM) and other nanotechnology. This research explores the extent and impacts that nanotechnology has on the environment, society as well as the military and surveillance. Similarly, I am currently an expert consultant at Ethical Intelligence Associates Ltd. where I provide consultancy for companies to gain a competitive edge by mitigating ethical risks and formulating custom tools and protocols to embed ethics into their practices that align with current ethical guidelines and company values
Currently, my main area of research revolves around Value Sensitive Design (VSD), its philosophical foundation as well as its potential application to emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence and Industry 4.0.
- Editor-in-Chief – International Journal of Technoethics, 2020 – Present (Rivista A 11/C3)
- Book Reviews Editor – Prometheus: critical studies in innovation, 2018 – Present
- Topic Editor - Information, Dec 2020 – Present
- Section Editor – Informatica, 2018 – Present
- Managing Editor - Journal of Ethics and Emerging Technologies, 2021 – Present
- Editorial Board Member – Delphi: Interdisciplinary Review of Emerging Technologies, 2019 – Present
- Editorial Board Member – International Journal of Sociotechnology and Knowledge Development (IJSKD), 2019 – Present
- Editorial Board Member – ROBONOMICS: The Journal of the Automated Economy, 2020 – Present
- Advisory Board Member – AI Ethics Journal, 2020 - Present
- Editorial Board Member – International Journal of Technology and Human Interaction (IJTHI), 2020 – Present
- Editorial Board Member – International Journal of Art, Culture and Design Technologies (IJACDT), 2020 – Present
- Associate Editor – Science and Engineering Ethics, 2019 – 2021 (Rivista A 11/C3)
- Guest Editor – International Journal of Technoethics, special issue on Engineering Ethics: Bridging the Theory-Practice Gap, 2020-2021 (Rivista A 11/C3)
- Associate Editor – International Journal of Technoethics, 2018 - 2020 (Rivista A 11/C3)
- Editorial Review Board Member – International Journal of Technoethics, 2017 – 2018 (Rivista A 11/C3)
- Guest Editor – Between the Species: Journal of Philosophy and Animals, special issue on Animal Enhancement, 2018
Attività in agenda
- Episode #23 Steven Umbrello, MA, MSc (Philosophy of Technology)Domenica 4 aprile 2021
- Value Sensitive Design with Steven UmbrelloVenerdì 4 dicembre 2020